General Chat
what advice?
So, here's the situation.

My parents have a small shop where they sell different products, mostly electrical and hydraulic, you know, stuff like that. But they are a bit old, my mother is 60 and my father 69. They are in Greece right now, and my mother might have a thyroid surgery. As far as I know, it isn't a bad thing (unless any of you knows better in this field, I have nearly zero knowledge in these medical stuff). Also my father has some health issues, especially with the lungs, and the doctors there said he should work less. I'm really worried (understanable). And the shop is the only thing providing money in our family. Thing is that they cannot work for too much longer.

Now I have thought about this a lot these last days, and have thought about quitting the university at the moment, and work with my father until I'm ready to take the shop over. I'm in the first year, so since they cannot work for much longer, and I have just started uni, so it means that I have at least 3 more years, not to mention 2 more years of master studies. Even if I find a part-time job I cannot provide single handedly for my family. If I take the shop over, I can start university again next year, even though only part-time.

So you older lot, what do you think? Any help would be really appreciated, it's a great decision to make for me. Smile
"We are a team of devils. Our colours are red as fire, and black, to invoke fear in our opponents!"
Herbert Kilpin

Nella gioia e nell' dolore, per il Milan eterno amore!
Postponing university is not the end of the world eventhough I would hesitate to put any education aside. If you work for 1 or 2 years while also learning more about the business and mechanical/electrical equipment that can be an education too.

I hope they both do well and be healthy for a long time.
Agree with reza. Depends on how much you think the business will survive. An alternative is to sell it...
You're right reza. I'm thinking of qutting by now and starting again next year another faculty/branch. I'm studying German Language right now, so it doesn't really have a bright future, apart from being a translator or a teacher. I'm thinking of starting Psychology major next year, even though only part-time studies.

(11-08-2011, 03:11 PM)Jeff Wrote: Agree with reza. Depends on how much you think the business will survive. An alternative is to sell it...

The business is going well currently, not really excelling, but enough to have a good standard of living. Looking around here, being a developing country, there are a lot of new buildings, houses etc in need of these kinds of materials, so albeit it's a small shop, it can generate good income.

We can't sell it though, the shop is rented. Even if it was ours, it's not a good idea I think, since it has been going well for quite some years.
"We are a team of devils. Our colours are red as fire, and black, to invoke fear in our opponents!"
Herbert Kilpin

So you guys haven't posted here much, who so? It would be nice to have a chat here.
Herbert Kilpin

(12-25-2011, 01:54 AM)theaxeofpain Wrote: So you guys haven't posted here much, who so? It would be nice to have a chat here.
Hmm okay, so how about your hair? I mean did you cut them short or still with the longer hair style?
Argentina will win the World CupĀ 2022
Formerly mzk57
(12-25-2011, 04:02 PM)mzk57 Wrote: Hmm okay, so how about your hair? I mean did you cut them short or still with the longer hair style?

Haha that's some nice start. Tongue

I am never going to cut them short though. I'd rather be bald than have short hair to be honest.
Herbert Kilpin

(11-08-2011, 01:51 PM)theaxeofpain Wrote: So, here's the situation.

My parents have a small shop where they sell different products, mostly electrical and hydraulic, you know, stuff like that. But they are a bit old, my mother is 60 and my father 69. They are in Greece right now, and my mother might have a thyroid surgery. As far as I know, it isn't a bad thing (unless any of you knows better in this field, I have nearly zero knowledge in these medical stuff). Also my father has some health issues, especially with the lungs, and the doctors there said he should work less. I'm really worried (understanable). And the shop is the only thing providing money in our family. Thing is that they cannot work for too much longer.

Now I have thought about this a lot these last days, and have thought about quitting the university at the moment, and work with my father until I'm ready to take the shop over. I'm in the first year, so since they cannot work for much longer, and I have just started uni, so it means that I have at least 3 more years, not to mention 2 more years of master studies. Even if I find a part-time job I cannot provide single handedly for my family. If I take the shop over, I can start university again next year, even though only part-time.

So you older lot, what do you think? Any help would be really appreciated, it's a great decision to make for me. Smile

Take over the shop, end of story. Education can be done over time, and part-time. There are no guarantees in the Global Depression that currently exists that you'll get a job anyways. Take the steady income, save, and learn. You'll be fine...
Thanks for the advice Mr. Future Galliani. Tongue

Well, I "worked" there for 1 month-1 month and a half, but it was a real pain in the ass, I don't know if I can take it.

In January I will start working at a touristic agency, hopefully I'll make some money for myself by working there and learn about these things, I quite like tourism.
Herbert Kilpin