Summer mercato 2012
I wish Galli is doing and acting like Billy Beane, b.c if that's the case, guys Like Slowdorf, Mexes and Bonera will be long gone by now. Money ball, essentially is figuring out the basic cost for winning. In football, it is extremely hard to do, bc football is not a statistics game.
But let's try to do it for fun here. For example, a defender job is to keep the ball away from the area, since the chances of scoring within and near the area is a lot higher than 30yards out. Someone like Bonera and even Mexes are completely expandable due to being mistake prone at least once a game. A stat that defender should have is how often opponents attacked their side and how many times they managed to get near and inside the box, whether by dribbling or passing. The lower the number the better the defender should be.
A striker job is to score goals. But scoring in the 85th min in a game which the team is winning 2-0 is a lot of different than scoring the first goal of the game in the 88th minute. Thus to judge a striker value will all depends on when he scores and how often he scores. Afterall, you can't win games without scoring.
Midfielder value will be a combination of both stats.
While injuries will also be consider.

If Galli signed Nocerino during the summer instead of signing him bc of Flamini injury, I would say that's a great signing. Since it is not, I would just check that as lucky signing.
(04-28-2012, 06:06 PM)Gabriel426 Wrote: If Galli signed Nocerino during the summer instead of signing him bc of Flamini injury, I would say that's a great signing. Since it is not, I would just check that as lucky signing.

Definitely lucky signing, and extremely opportunistic. Here's a guy doing Flamini's job for half the wages Flamini is currently making.
and better then flamini
(04-28-2012, 06:06 PM)Gabriel426 Wrote: I wish Galli is doing and acting like Billy Beane, b.c if that's the case, guys Like Slowdorf, Mexes and Bonera will be long gone by now. Money ball, essentially is figuring out the basic cost for winning. In football, it is extremely hard to do, bc football is not a statistics game.
But let's try to do it for fun here. For example, a defender job is to keep the ball away from the area, since the chances of scoring within and near the area is a lot higher than 30yards out. Someone like Bonera and even Mexes are completely expandable due to being mistake prone at least once a game. A stat that defender should have is how often opponents attacked their side and how many times they managed to get near and inside the box, whether by dribbling or passing. The lower the number the better the defender should be.
A striker job is to score goals. But scoring in the 85th min in a game which the team is winning 2-0 is a lot of different than scoring the first goal of the game in the 88th minute. Thus to judge a striker value will all depends on when he score and how often he scores. Afterall, you can't win games without scoring.

If Galli signed Nocerino during the summer instead of signing him bc of Flamini injury, I would say that's a great signing. Since it is not, I would just check that as lucky signing.

Interesting way to look at things from the money ball approach. If the object is to keep the ball away from the goal then the formation needs adjustment.
I'd suggest 4-2-3-1.

From a defender stand point, goals come from the center. Your Center backs in a money ball situation HAVE to be your best and by far. Silva is perfect, Nesta while we love him needs replacing and we need to find another Silva (speed, power). Wing backs will be low money players in money ball but they must have a specific design in the formation to accomplish things like high up field pressure.

From a defensive mid stand point, the heart and soul of your team and players who have lungs of steel to run non stop. This position is very demanding, so having proper squad players is necessary.

From the "3" stand point, speed, speed, and more speed. The two wide players essentially wingers are traditional wingers. Centrally, between them that position can be used to fit an attack mid or a box to box mid depending on what team your playing against.

And obviously the CF, who should be able to do it all as your high priced player in your money ball scenario.

To sum it up...
CB - High price tag
RB/LB - Low price tag
DM- Medium price tag
AM/CM- Medium price tag
W - Medium-High price tag
CF - High price tag.
GK- Low to medium price tag if the object is to keep the ball away from the net, the GK must be able to make crucial saves. Abbiati fits, hes not bad and also not great.

Defense- Abate fits, Antonini doesnt, Silva fits, Mexes doesnt
DM - Zero first 11 fits , Nocerino as a squad player/spot starter fits. Muntari fits, Flamini HEALTHY can fit here
AM/CM - Boateng fits, Nocerino fits, Muntari fits, Merkel Fits
Winger- Robinho fits but barely, ES 92 fits, noone else
CF- Ibra, Pato fit,

I've typed too much, im tired lol

id suggest playing with wingers, thats just my personal opinion i like the fast play i really like bayerns formation
Speed is important, no doubt about it. But as I said, it has more to do with ball movement with numbers from defense to offense. Having guys like Robben or Torres or Pato up front are great, but if the midfield are all Slowdorf, it won't work. Bayern, Real, Chelsea, and Inter under JM got great movement from defense to offense, heck even Milan under Carlo pre Kaka got that.
I agree, over all just having afast team that can run altogether will do great, but midfielders require a lot more then just running imo, i mean we could go and field a midfield trio of

--urby-muntari-nocerino--

they can all run, but muntari cant play cdm, its pretty much the anchor of the team, notice we played so much better when MVB was in form last season because you need a player who knows and acts on his defensive duties but can also create opportunity while also being able to contribute to counter attack, at the left side of the midfield imo the best option is to have a natural left footed player so he can switch easier and not only easier but more efficiently when running, hence another help towards counter attacking/overall movement.. to balance everything out having a player like nocerino whos a good box to box midfielder and can run around for days simply interecepting plays and being a nuisince to players in possession is good, while also contributing to our attack.. nocerino no doubt has my support at that position, unless of course due to changes next year it calls for boateng to be put back there..

evenw ith a good young midfield id still prefer playing with wingers.. bayern plays great with their wingers plus a tower striker like gomez, how many times do you get corner kicks or the opportunity to cross in a match? how many times do you actually see us finish off these opportunities.. very rarely. when we had pippo sheva maldini, staam etc we had so many great headers of the ball, lets not forget goals win you games, whether you score with your head or feet its a goal nonethe less .. i think we should stop trying to play "champagne football" quote berlu, and just play to win..

main point: first we should worry about having a faster moving team, with faster players in specific, then we should worry about being a lot better on set pieces, maybe through practicing them with our current team or getting new players who are good in the air , then we should worry about a better LB, a replacement for nesta in defence.
In modern football,transition from defence to offence is well studied long before,players like riquelme has no place in all big teams.and every team in major leagues has little difference at tactic execution level,player quality make big teams stand out.

Attacking players pace basicly define a team's pace in highest level nowdays.you can't ask ibra to play a very fast pace game,it's just taking his best part of game away.we definitely need fast players like pato or robben to set a tone at front.
May god with chinese footbball
(04-28-2012, 06:06 PM)Gabriel426 Wrote: I wish Galli is doing and acting like Billy Beane, b.c if that's the case, guys Like Slowdorf, Mexes and Bonera will be long gone by now. Money ball, essentially is figuring out the basic cost for winning. In football, it is extremely hard to do, bc football is not a statistics game.
A striker job is to score goals. But scoring in the 85th min in a game which the team is winning 2-0 is a lot of different than scoring the first goal of the game in the 88th minute. Thus to judge a striker value will all depends on when he scores and how often he scores. Afterall, you can't win games without scoring.

We can't do what Billy Beane did because as you say, football isn't a statistics based sport, it's too fast and fluid.

However, we can take inspiration from moneyball, like the use of some statistics to build our squad efficiently. For example, with technology these days we can draw up charts as to which areas a player covers on the field when they play, their natural movements on the field and how they run. We can go a step further and see how well they position themselves in correlation to teammates or how quickly they get back into their defensive role when an attacking move breaks down.

Using such stats would allow a coach to see how individuals might fit into their squad and system.

Whilst we can't do the same, we can look to employ our own technical approach to selecting players who fit our squad.
That basically should be expected from the managers and scouts when signing players. In the modern game, I think finding the right pieces for your team/squad/formation is harder than finding someone who is just a great footballer. Use Barca as an example, getting Ibra was a mistake while signing Cesc, Sanchez and Villa are not, b/c the latter three fits into their system more. Thats not to say Ibra is not as good as the other three.