Football Games 2016
Figured we tend to have a thread dedicated to one football game (usually FIFA), but end up talking about various, so it made sense to have one where people could talk about any they play, whether it's FIFA, PES or FM (or others).

Anyway, I played the PES 2016 demo today and really enjoyed it. Much of the gameplay feels like what I said on last year's title, but what impressed me was the tweaks to make it feel more tactically realistic. In terms of gameplay, I felt I had to think more when out of possession to press the opponents correctly. My general approach was to press off the ball well and when in possession break aggressively and quickly. This meant I'd often end up with less possession during matches, but I'd be in complete control of the match with my pressing. Alternatively, I also felt that if I wanted to play a more possession based game, I really could by utilising the passing game.

There's also new tactical options available this year. Most notably, you can set tactics in various phases of the game, such as your standard formation at kick off, the formation of the side when attacking and the formation of the side when defending. That ability to adjust the team's shape to different scenarios really excites me, but more than that, you can adjust how the team plays/behaves (e.g. how they press, focus in positioning or style) in these different scenarios. That could open up a level of detail in the tactical aspects of the game not seen before. I've not played with it too much, but I'm very excited in testing it out.
On a general note, I do not understand why most games are abandoning PC's given that they have way more potential than Consoles.. but oh well whatever Big Grin

was thinking about posting the much awaited debate, but I was disconnected from technology for the past 3 days(what an experience!).. so here we are, thanks Dev.

on PES2016, although clearly I haven't tried it yet, I always do the research of what both games have to offer.
and it looks like PES is finally catching up to FIFA and made that step forward in terms of gameplay and quality of graphics. they have always had a feature-rich game but they somehow forgot to step up in the last years.. well definitely give it a try this year, a decent try!

on FIFA16, it is one of their flagship games and the focus will always be on this game.
This year, in addition to game-play, AI and multiple enhancements.. they seem to be focusing more on the Single-Player features.
they were out of touch with the world, limiting your subs to 7 players, limiting friendly subs to 3 and so much more.

yet they took fan feed back and they worked on that, also adding the ability of 2 years loans, taking transfer funds from season to the next, adding pre-season mini-tournaments(which seeems is a thing nowadays) and the ability to train your squad players no certain aspects of their game....

to be honest I'm really excited about both games, but I think I'll still end up playing FIFA rather than PES..
Gonna wait and see before going further in the debate, as I have to play both of those games!
I will just buy FM as always. I am already losing to much time playing it to start playing anything else, instead of doing my work.
(08-30-2015, 06:07 PM)maharaja Wrote: I will just buy FM as always. I am already losing to much time playing it to start playing anything else, instead of doing my work.

That's what I am really afraid of. Already addicted more than a decade ago and I still have no courage to test FM.  Confused

Best game I ever had (it was still named CM).  Okmilan
"When Costacurta and Maldini won they didn't celebrate much. They were thinking about winning the next game" - Alessandro Nesta
That's why I don't play FM these days. With family (including kids), full time work and so many other responsibilities I just can't find time. PES and FIFA are generally my choice these days.

I explored more of the tactical aspects of PES today, particularly setting different tactics for attack and defence and I really liked it. It's effectively setting up three different systems for your team, meaning the level of detail you can go to in setting up your team is really impressive. This, combined with the individual representation of players that impressed me last year (I used the example of Pirlo, who really felt like you're playing as Pirlo in the game) made the simulation of the sport feel much more realistic.
How old are your kids? Are you playing with them?
lol, no not yet, my son's a toddler. He likes watching me play though, particularly platformers which usually have bold sprites and bright colours.
I truly, desperately hope that they overhaul the Master League in PES 2016. As a hardcore FM guy since 15 years, I tend to only play career mode on regular football games. FIFA obviously has a much advanced, very well designed career mode but the game in general sucks.

I'd be back to PES in a heartbeat if they would fix the ML. For now its FM 2015, where using my youth team squad only, I have won CL back to back 3 times in a row. Feels so weird to be a European superpower and being named the favourites in every match.
Yeah, I agree, ML has generally let PES down for years, it's still the same as the PS2 era. They need a proper calendar system, a much more advanced transfer system and should generally look to make it more modern and developed. In that regard, I think FIFA trounces PES, especially factoring in the license and depth of numbers (teams and players) in FIFA. Transfers especially annoy me in PES, as during the early seasons it's extremely difficult if not close to impossible to sign low league players in the game.

Anyway, apparently they have completely revamped ML for this season. There's scarce details on what that is other than a reworked menu system and transfer system, but here's hoping it's much better. Based on screenshots, it appears there will be a proper calendar system in place. More details:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/12/pes-2016...-xbox-one/
Master League being dumb and always the same is the only reason I switched to FIFA from PES a few years ago. I've always liked PES gameplay better, but there comes a time when pure gameplay is not enough. With Konami being stubborn and sticking with their shit for 10 years, I switched to FIFA.

Funny thing, I even bought the game last year Big Grin (usually playing pirated copies) but I only played like 2 or 3 online matches. During those I crushed 2 or 3 gamepads Icon_lol2 I dont think my blood pressure was ever that high Icon_lol2