01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I find some of the comments against this action ridiculous. I read on Milannews some guy say Boateng acted like a wuss lmao.
Most disappointing are the reactions Gattuso and Seedorf have shown for me, especially as they are ex-players/teammates. Gattuso's questioning of whether it was racism simply because the town has people of many cultures is ignorance of the highest order. These people who did this stuff may not actually believe that black people (or other ethnic minorities) are "lesser people", but their actions were not only demeaning, dehumanising and insulting, but rather they encouraged attitudes which shouldn't have a place or is acceptable in modern society. Gattuso might be trying to defend Italy and this town, but as a result is turning a blind eye to what happened, essentially saying it wasn't that bad, just idiots being idiots. It irritates me that he said this (even going as far as to say he's white and still been booed), as everyone is acknowledging it was very much a minority of people that did this and this is a very serious issue that needs to be dealt with throughout the world of football.
Seedorf's comments aren't as stupid, but I think he's being idealistic. Saying that the racists were empowered by our players coming off isn't true, as the result has been an International condemning of their actions shows that by doing what they did, the players made a massive statement in the football world. Had they not gone off, what would have happened? I'm certain the actual fans who were at the stadium wouldn't have gone against the minority as they did. I'm certain that we wouldn't have high profile figures like Rio Ferdinand and Patrick Viera publicly commenting on this. I'm certain that 99% of the world press that has covered the story wouldn't have said a word about the racism. I read that many people will be serving time in prison before coming here, which I'm certain wouldn't have happened had the players not come off. Seedorf wants the ideal, which is authorities (footballing and otherwise) will act strongly against racism. I want this too, but until FIFA and UEFA decide to take their fingers out of their backsides and actually do something, as well as authorities such as police and security, then this problem won't disappear or be dealt with, unless players and those in the game actually start making stands against it themselves.
I applaud Boateng's stance, as well as the rest of our players. What happened shouldn't happen in or outside of football and if others won't start making a difference, then the players should themselves. After all, discrimination is unfair and unjust and no one should have to deal with it, especially in their place of work.
Most disappointing are the reactions Gattuso and Seedorf have shown for me, especially as they are ex-players/teammates. Gattuso's questioning of whether it was racism simply because the town has people of many cultures is ignorance of the highest order. These people who did this stuff may not actually believe that black people (or other ethnic minorities) are "lesser people", but their actions were not only demeaning, dehumanising and insulting, but rather they encouraged attitudes which shouldn't have a place or is acceptable in modern society. Gattuso might be trying to defend Italy and this town, but as a result is turning a blind eye to what happened, essentially saying it wasn't that bad, just idiots being idiots. It irritates me that he said this (even going as far as to say he's white and still been booed), as everyone is acknowledging it was very much a minority of people that did this and this is a very serious issue that needs to be dealt with throughout the world of football.
Seedorf's comments aren't as stupid, but I think he's being idealistic. Saying that the racists were empowered by our players coming off isn't true, as the result has been an International condemning of their actions shows that by doing what they did, the players made a massive statement in the football world. Had they not gone off, what would have happened? I'm certain the actual fans who were at the stadium wouldn't have gone against the minority as they did. I'm certain that we wouldn't have high profile figures like Rio Ferdinand and Patrick Viera publicly commenting on this. I'm certain that 99% of the world press that has covered the story wouldn't have said a word about the racism. I read that many people will be serving time in prison before coming here, which I'm certain wouldn't have happened had the players not come off. Seedorf wants the ideal, which is authorities (footballing and otherwise) will act strongly against racism. I want this too, but until FIFA and UEFA decide to take their fingers out of their backsides and actually do something, as well as authorities such as police and security, then this problem won't disappear or be dealt with, unless players and those in the game actually start making stands against it themselves.
I applaud Boateng's stance, as well as the rest of our players. What happened shouldn't happen in or outside of football and if others won't start making a difference, then the players should themselves. After all, discrimination is unfair and unjust and no one should have to deal with it, especially in their place of work.



