Week 38: Milan - Cagliari May 24 2026 20:45CET
#65
Allegri was ok only if results came. I was "ok" with the boring defensive style as long as results were coming. After last season, where we conceded SO many goals, I was like "screw it, give me a defensively sound Milan that can grind results and get 3 points". 

Truth of the matter is that we were never actually that solid. Even when we were getting results, we were getting lucky at times with Maignan's insane 1st half of the season performances. 

Then, I really thought that after "fixing the defense", we would see an improvement in the final 3rd. But it never came. Instead, we fell apart defensively as well. 

I hate that we missed out on the CL. I've stayed away from Milan news and forums for a few days because it would piss me off even thinking about it. But (alert, this might be the copium talking), maybe this was a blessing in disguise. To be forced to change course. I do think if we'd made the CL, Allegri was going to stay. We, of course, have less than 5% chance of being true competitions in the CL...and with Allegri's football, that goes even lower than 1%. So we'd just be making up the numbers and risking budgeting embarrassed along the way anyway. Just imagine this team playing against PSG or Bayern or Barca. We'd get humiliated. And along the way...lost yet another year with this fossil of a coach. 

So....we are out of the CL...but maybe some good will come out of it. We need modern ideas. We need an exciting team that's full of intensity and running. I think this idea that "running and intensity and pressing and tempo doesn't work in Serie A" is so wrong and it's what's keeping Italy behind. There is no courage to do this in Italy. Most just rever back to "the tactical side" and slow football, safe passing, defending, blah blah. And it's resulted in one of the lowest points of Italian football ever. 

So hopefully we have the courage to change course. To go for the modern. To assemble a team of hungry players that are willing to run, press, play vertical, and dominate teams both physically and t e cynically.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Week 38: Milan - Cagliari May 24 2026 20:45CET - by nefremo - 05-26-2026, 04:15 PM