Milan Management
That would be the best thing that can happen to this Milan.
hmm, latest rumour is Bee Taechaubol has essentially acquired 25% of the company and would keep Barbara and Galliani in their roles. There's little more than rumours right now and even if true, acquiring 25% would only make him a minority shareholder, so that decision to keep the dual CEO is still down to Silvio.

Rumours have been fairly quiet on this Barbara vs Galliani thing, with only a couple of sources saying anything, so who knows what the truth is there. That said, I wonder if individuals in the club are doing everything they can to keep it quiet.
Galliani's position is seriously at risk according to rumours.

http://www.milannews.it/rassegna-stampa/...ani-170620

It says Barbara's pushing Silvio to get rid of Galliani and get Prade or Sogliano.

As mention in the Venting thread, Gazzetta reports that if the Bee Taechaubol deal goes ahead, Maldini would be asked to take on an important operational role in management:

http://www.milannews.it/primo-piano/gazz...ale-170617
I would not be surprised if Galliani is gone in a season or two, as even Silvio must now be starting to realize that the man isn't doing a good job for Milan anymore. In a way it's a shame that he didn't resign when he said he would last season, though that would obviously have made an already chaotic season much worse.
He is our Moggi, a man stuck in the old way of doing things. I don't think Juve's transformation into a modern club would have been as easy had he still been there (though they went through two seasons similar to what we're going through now too). We are struggling with our transition because we have Galliani pulling us in one direction and Barbara in another.

I am just so sick of hearing about how we've won so many trophies in the past, etc etc. A week ago he was talking about how the fans have abandoned the San Siro because we've become too accustomed to Milan playing good football. What kind of thing is that for an AC Milan vice president to say? And there was no mention of what he or anyone else is doing to change the situation.

I have defended him in the past, but enough is enough.
(03-11-2015, 12:23 PM)devoted_dm Wrote: I would not be surprised if Galliani is gone in a season or two, as even Silvio must now be starting to realize that the man isn't doing a good job for Milan anymore. In a way it's a shame that he didn't resign when he said he would last season, though that would obviously have made an already chaotic season much worse.
He is our Moggi, a man stuck in the old way of doing things. I don't think Juve's transformation into a modern club would have been as easy had he still been there (though they went through two seasons similar to what we're going through now too). We are struggling with our transition because we have Galliani pulling us in one direction and Barbara in another.

I am just so sick of hearing about how we've won so many trophies in the past, etc etc. A week ago he was talking about how the fans have abandoned the San Siro because we've become too accustomed to Milan playing good football. What kind of thing is that for an AC Milan vice president to say? And there was no mention of what he or anyone else is doing to change the situation.

I have defended him in the past, but enough is enough.

I'm not a fan of Moggi, far from it actually, but compared to Galliani's he's significantly better at building a squad and choosing the right coaches. Certainly Juve might have struggled to modernise as they have if he was still there, but it's very difficult to say tbh. He's also made comments about the situation at Milan today and his comments are very much true:

http://www.milannews.it/altre-notizie/mo...ato-170633

EDIT: Here's the English article for Galliani possibly getting sacked.

http://www.football-italia.net/63699/gal...milan-exit

Forgot to mention that Barbara's also interested in getting Sogliano or Prade as Galliani's replacement earlier as well.
Galliani is like a cat, with 9 lives. He will probably stay with Milan until he dies.

On Moggi, I agree with your evaluation. I think he is more evil than Galliani but he is also both more ruthless and more effective.
Saw this apparent tweet from Gazzetta on R&B. I haven't confirmed if it's an actual tweet or made up, though if it is then expect to find out more detail sooner rather than later.

Quote:#Maldini has had many contacts with Bee Taechaubol. They agreed that #Conte is the right man for the job. [#GdS]

#Maldini will also have the options to choose whoever he like for the Sporting Director role and bring friends that he trust to #ACMilan.

I thought the Conte point was interesting. I dislike Conte, I think he's an arse, but frankly I agree with the point the club needs a coach like him. Ironically it's something I posted a little while back in the mercato thread.

Cesare Maldini has again spoken about Paolo, saying it's his dream to return and he wants to help the club back to success.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2015/03/...g-rumours/?
There's not huge amounts of activity here lately and I've been thinking about a subject which I'd be curious to see opinions on, the subject being Galliani.

Basically, I've always assumed that when he does finally leave Milan, the general consensus will be that despite his performance in recent years, he's going to be widely regarded as one of the great sporting directors or club leaders in football history. That's the way I've always assumed I'd always look back at him, as someone who caused a lot of damage in his latter years, but his legacy will be dependent on the success of his former years and therefore I'd regard him as a great asset in Milan's history.

However, the more I think about it the more I question about how good he actually is. Back in the 80s when Berlusconi bought Milan and Galliani was placed in the club, the general feeling tends to be that Berlusconi's money and smart moves on the market were the start of major success. This is undeniable, as no one will question the impact of signings like the dutch trio. However, many, including people who were within the club, will argue the Nils Liedholm put the foundations in place for Sacchi's Milan to dominate, which when you consider how many of the pillars that formed that side were already at the club before Berlusconi took over, proves the comment holds some truth.

Even signings that were considered vital, such as Frank Rijkaard or later Marcel Desailly, were often as a result of the demands of the coaches (Sacchi and Capello respectively in these cases) rather than the intuition of the directors. Others, such as Van Basten, Boban and Savicevic were as a result of Berlusconi demanding the best players in the world be bought to the club, money not necessarily being an object.

It was in the mid to late 90's that questions start to come around about the decision making of the directors, specifically Galliani. Not only did Milan struggle to rebuild after a lengthy period of success, but the club entered into a period where midtable finishes weren't uncommon. One of the criticisms aimed towards the leadership, often by people who were in the club at the time, is that too many young players were rushed and forced into the setup, which created an instability and a questionable work ethic in the group where many struggled to cope. It is normally up to directors to build long term projects to keep a club healthy and competitive and this is where the first signs of Galliani's seemingly poor work start to show.

It wasn't too long after in the early 2000's that the dominant Milan under Carlo Ancelotti came to fruition. However, it's as much to the credit of Ancelotti that he was able to make use of the qualities at his disposal and the players in the flexibility and ability to interpret unfamiliar roles to them, as it is to the detriment of the management to build an arguably unbalanced squad where the expectation was that the coach would have to fit four playmakers in the starting eleven. Perhaps this is a harsh assessment of the club's work, where they did develop some quality players known more for their graft than ability, such as Gattuso and Ambrosini, but there was a clear preference for star names going forward.

Towards the end of the Ancelotti era, specifically post Calcipoli, Galliani's work has been poor at best for the most part. Many will cite signings such as Thiago Silva and Ibrahimovic as great work by Galliani, which while true doesn't feel like it should excuse countless poor signings that have had detrimental effects on the club. As resources from Berlusconi's pocket dried up, Galliani failed to adequately manage the club into a new era where more frugal and cautious spending was required.

There are many other questions to raise around Galliani and his work. Most notable is his relationship with players. Those who often have a strong relationship with him will refer to how he's a father figure to the players and a strong aide to the coaches. However, with the positives there are also negatives, such as his fractious relationship with numerous ex-players, most famously Maldini, Pirlo, Cassano and Seedorf.

This all calls into question as to precisely how good Galliani is heading the club. Are his successes on the market a result of his understanding of developing a squad for a long term project or could it be as a result of having resources few in the world can dream of and having people within the club who understood what was needed? Was he really a great man manager as he's often made out to be and are those who have had issues the ones that are the problem? Was he an exceptional negotiator or an opportunist whose cut priced deals had detrimental effects in the long term?

Clearly there is much more to this question than what can be written in a single post, never mind the number of details that were never even publicly known. However, I'd be interested in opinions on whether Galliani was a great leader in Milan, or whether he was simply rather fortunate to be in the right circumstances at the right time with the strong supporting structure around him.
Thanks for this Dev.

I would want to say that a point where credit is due to Galliani is "extracting" good deals. Two players for example: Ibra and Lopez were headed for the exit from their previous teams for reasons other than falling playing standards. They were both good or better age and quality wise to attract other teams while, even when Ibra arrived, Milan was sliding down the rich scale. He managed to get both.
Galliani has achieved something with less resources but too little of it.
You might be right that Galliani is overrated. Fact is that in the last 20 years, we've only won three Scudetti and two Champions League trophies. That's not nothing, but I feel like a club as big as Milan should have done a bit better than that, especially in Italy. And especially considering how much money we had available for such a long time, and how much we've spent. As weird as it might sound, we've been a bit trophy-starved after the late 80s/early 90s glory days. Inter won four Scudetti in four years not that long ago. Juve are doing the same now. I am a bit annoyed that we can't assemble a squad good enough to do the same.