Milan Management
(01-22-2015, 06:03 PM)honsano Wrote: I was just going to post that Reza. So the mighty have fallen. Interesting to see the top 8 making substantially more than they were in previous seasons especially 3 through 8. I'm curious to learn how big teams like Chelsea, PSG or even ManCity can increase their revenues by 20+%!

They win titles and invest in big names every year, more and more fans are attracted each year.
demand from fans = more product from club

Their games are shown more on TV (bigger broadcasting deals), advertised more (ref. to Barcelonas Ebola ad. campaign, this reaches out to people in a way that joins football and the world/togetherness in a sense), moreover, more shirt sales, more ticket sales...

For example, Madrid was making a lot of money with Ronaldo and everyone else, after the world cup James Rodriguez had he probably has 75% of football fans around the world watching him (casually or not) play for Madrid, not to mention there are probably many fans (Colombian or otherwise) who follow him because he is one of their favorite. It just goes on.. A good example is one of my friends who is croatian, he doesn't have a favorite team - but he does buy Barca/Madrid jerseys and watch both of them because his two favorite players (Rakitic&Modric) play for them. We don't have any worldwide appealing names in our roster, unfortunately. But that's the least of our problems.

My friends from soccer were all getting bored of Milan I remember when all our older players were getting set to retire.. They'd make fun of Milan, not watch them, not buy their jerseys and show up to practice with them like they had started doing w. barca jerseys. Suddenly, they bought Ibra and Robinho - everyone starting watching them, talking about highlights every weekend at our games, buying the same cleats as Ibra or whoever, and so on so fourth. Adidas/Nike know this stuff - hence, they'll pay more to the clubs + players because they are advertising their brand to a large extent.

Bottom line is - a lot of things are more attainable with a competitive team, and that's the root of our problems. Some think it's the stadium, but I think thats just a large dent, not the whole story though. If we had a competitive team, our stadium would be packed, jersey sales would skyrocket, nike/adidas would pay us more money for advertising, our players would be included in their deals, thus more attraction for better players to come play with us(opportunity to make more money through bonuses as well), we also have CL money, and potential money from winning any titles, broadcasting deals go up due to CL exposure etc. A new stadium will give us a good base revenue to work off of if we need to be self run, for example if we had our own stadium and were doing this poorly, maybe our losses would be more manageable. But the rest of the big money comes from elsewhere.
(01-24-2015, 11:59 PM)Mystik Wrote: I agree with you there Reza. I think we should give up on the fantasy hunt for our Pep Guardiola and find people with a proven track record that can turn this ship around. That goes for coach, sporting directors, etc. I know Dev is a big fan of getting former players because they can, in theory, attempt to bring back some of the philosophy of the glory days. I think our situation now is so dire though that we need experienced hands to get us out.

The club needs a clear structure, as whoever they get needs to have an environment where they can do their job. I've not been too interested in finding a Milan "Pep Guardiola". I never really agreed with Seedorf's hiring nor Pippo's.

The names I do mention are because I think they have the ability to be a part in rebuilding Milan. Maldini has shown great intelligence over the years and an understanding of where problems lie in Milan, more than almost anyone else I can think of.

Albertini is another who I've mentioned as a possibility in Milan, because he has years of experience of working in the Italian football organising committee and made some good points about how Italian football needs to rebuild during the FIGC election campaign.

Sacchi is imo a valuable asset as he's defined a football which should be the foundation of the future of Milan. His ideas on the game are just as valid now as they were almost 30 years ago when he took charge of Milan. However, I've always said he needs to act in a consultancy role, simply as I don't think he can or will commit to a long term future in Milan.

That's the crux of my argument for bringing these guys in. If it's necessary and these guys can't be brought in, but others who can do the role can be brought in, then I have no issues with that, which is why I respected the idea of Sogliano coming in a year ago.

However, it's one thing to find candidates who are up to the role and have a history with the club, and it's another to bring in someone whose brought in for sentimental reasons and history. I have no interest in the likes of Gattuso, Rijkaard, Van Basten or Gullit coming in for example, despite them being some of my favourite players in the history of the club.

(01-25-2015, 02:05 AM)WCmilan Wrote: They win titles and invest in big names every year, more and more fans are attracted each year.
demand from fans = more product from club

Their games are shown more on TV (bigger broadcasting deals), advertised more (ref. to Barcelonas Ebola ad. campaign, this reaches out to people in a way that joins football and the world/togetherness in a sense), moreover, more shirt sales, more ticket sales...

For example, Madrid was making a lot of money with Ronaldo and everyone else, after the world cup James Rodriguez had he probably has 75% of football fans around the world watching him (casually or not) play for Madrid, not to mention there are probably many fans (Colombian or otherwise) who follow him because he is one of their favorite. It just goes on.. A good example is one of my friends who is croatian, he doesn't have a favorite team - but he does buy Barca/Madrid jerseys and watch both of them because his two favorite players (Rakitic&Modric) play for them. We don't have any worldwide appealing names in our roster, unfortunately. But that's the least of our problems.

My friends from soccer were all getting bored of Milan I remember when all our older players were getting set to retire.. They'd make fun of Milan, not watch them, not buy their jerseys and show up to practice with them like they had started doing w. barca jerseys. Suddenly, they bought Ibra and Robinho - everyone starting watching them, talking about highlights every weekend at our games, buying the same cleats as Ibra or whoever, and so on so fourth. Adidas/Nike know this stuff - hence, they'll pay more to the clubs + players because they are advertising their brand to a large extent.

Bottom line is - a lot of things are more attainable with a competitive team, and that's the root of our problems. Some think it's the stadium, but I think thats just a large dent, not the whole story though. If we had a competitive team, our stadium would be packed, jersey sales would skyrocket, nike/adidas would pay us more money for advertising, our players would be included in their deals, thus more attraction for better players to come play with us(opportunity to make more money through bonuses as well), we also have CL money, and potential money from winning any titles, broadcasting deals go up due to CL exposure etc. A new stadium will give us a good base revenue to work off of if we need to be self run, for example if we had our own stadium and were doing this poorly, maybe our losses would be more manageable. But the rest of the big money comes from elsewhere

Pretty much agree.
I am starting to wonder if Galliani could be among those who will have to pay for the current situation. There's an article on Milannews.it about this. The idea is basically that Berlusconi will have to make a choice soon between his daughter and Galliani, as the current situation is hurting the club (possibly more than we know).

I honestly feel like Barbara has proved that she has what it takes to be in charge of Milan. She has a lot of ideas about how the club can expand commercially, got Casa Milan built in a very short time, secured a good deal with Emirates and is now working on the stadium project. And, as the article says, 18 months ago she accused Galliani of not having created a solid project for the future of the club. That was spot on, as far as I'm concerned. She was also the one who opposed the sale of Thiago Silva and Ibra, and she was absolutely right about the damage it would cause.

Galliani and Berlusconi sr have become old men now, and I think they are satisfied with what they have done with Milan. Galliani has achieved everything it is possible to achieve in his current role, but at this point I think we need Barbara's fresh ideas and enthusiasm. She also seems to be self-aware enough to not start negotiating transfers and things like that, but rather bring in people who are able to do that for her. We would probably see both Maldini and Albertini be given roles at the club, which would be very exciting.

The club basically needs a revolution, a bit like what happened at Juve some years ago. AC Milan has millions of fans around the world and a trophy cabinet that few other clubs can match. That is not a bad foundation to build upon. Let Barbara be in charge of the club.
I read that article and my first impression was "no shit Sherlock". I can't believe Silvio is only just getting now that two people with totally different ideas on running a single company are unlikely to work well together.

On Barbara, she's always given the impression that if she was in charge, she would continue heading up the commercial sector, but would have a board of directors to help manage the sporting sector. I see no reason that would have changed.
Long letter at http://curvasudmilano.it/ (Italian)

More or less same criticism at how the team is managed.
They repeated everything we sad here on the forum Big Grin
It's rare that I agree with the ultras, but it's hard not to agree with them here.

I'm sure it's mentioned elsewhere, but apparently Berlusconi might invest again in the club.
It appears that Barcelona are reportedly on the verge of appointing our own former AC Milan director Ariedo Braida as their new ‘international sporting director’
(01-27-2015, 04:46 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: Berlusconi might invest again in the club.

This kind of news arrives around every transfer window...
Came across an interesting little article/video on goal about Juventus:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3194/video/2...ut?ICID=OP

It's obviously a silly little joke, but it's interesting how Juventus are making these little videos that engage their fans. Hell, even though I'm not a fan I ended up watching it. It's like the Pirlo is not amused thing they did last year. It's something I've suggested Milan need to do better in building the community and strong rapport between fans and the club. I just thought it's interesting how Juve have taken on the initiative to do it and how it's making news on some of the biggest sites for football around.

Thing is, if I'm some kid that doesn't support any particular team and saw this found it amusing, then suddenly Juve becomes an attractive club. With their existing fans, they see a more human side to the players and coaches at the club (just look at the generally lighthearted comments).

At Milan, it's totally different, the fans generally dislike and distrust the management, while the closest we get to see the human side of the players or coaches is seeing Mexes throwing a tantrum on the pitch with Inzaghi on the verge of breaking down on the sidelines. Obviously success, or lack of it, plays its part, but in order to gain support the club needs to take a stance to engage the fans and show a little humility.