AC Milan vs. Napoli 23/11/2019 Serie a Week 13 18:00 CET
Right now, if I was to rate our midfielders based on how they've performed since Pioli has taken over, this is what I would do:

By the way, we've played a "box midfield" under Pioli, with Bennacer-Krunic behind Hakan-Paqueta when in possession. When not in possession, it turns into a more of a Krunic-Bennacer-Paqueta, while Hakan covers more of the wide left area lika a winger would. Today's set up was slightly different then that with Rebic/Jack taking up more of wider roles...but not sure if that change is here to stay. So for that reason, I'm including Jack and Hakan into this midfielder thing as they are in direct competition with the midfielders rather then with the CFs and Suso/Castillejo/Rebic.

-Bennacer.
For me, the first name on the team sheet when it comes to the midfield positions. Irreplacable in the line up. We can talk about moving him further up if there is the option and the opportunity, but in either case, he should be on the field no matter what).

-Krunic.
As of now, he's earned his place on the field. Imo, he's ouplayed the competition (LuPaq, Kessie, Biglia) and deserves to stay in the first 11 as long as he keeps doing that. Who would have thought?! But he quietly performs. Does the simple things right. He doesn't have an enormous ceiling like Bennacer for example, but he has proven to be a very good and a dependable buy. He has also adapted to playing deeper, as I think he's always been thought of as some kind of an attacking mid before he came here.

-Calhanoglu.
On and off. Very "off" under Giampaolo. As a matter of fact, Very "off" since he's been at Milan more or less. But he's had some of his best performances in a Milan jersey under Pioli. And since I'm rating the mids under Pioli, I think he's deserved to start as one of the 4 for sure. I'm not too hopeful that he'll keep it up and keep his spot, but for now, he's performing better then then others in his spot.

-Jack.
This one was tough because the game sample we have from Jack is only 1 game vs Napoli. The player he's displacing from the top 4 is Paqueta. But he was the best player against Napoli and if he keeps his fitness up and performs like that, it will be very hard not to play him.

-Paqueta.
I can see the potential. I can see the talent. I also understand the inconsistency in his performances. But he will have to change the way he plays a bit because he can be so much better and so important for this side. If I HAD TO choose 4 of this list to play, then I would probably have to leave him out currently, especially after Jack's performance yesterday. BUT, I think there is a solution and all 3 of Jack/Hakan/LuPaq can play. That means Suso goes to the bench and I don't think anyone will complain about that.

-Kessie.
Nothing more then a back up at this point. I don't even know what he offers anymore. Maybe the best use of him at this point is the fact that we can use him in many (probably all) positions in the midfield.

-Biglia.
Same as Kessie, without the variety part. He can only play as a regista or maybe 1 of the double pivots in a "box mid" that we've seen under Pioli. But there is no way I would play him instead of Bennacer or Krunic at this point...so a back up at best.

The best line up in the midfield and attack, imo, after seeing these guys under Pioli is this:
----------Bennacer-Krunic-----------
---------LuPaq-Hakan-Jack--------
-----------------------CF-------------------- (pick your poison. I'd rather Leao)

I hope we see this in the next game and build on it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AC Milan vs. Napoli 23/11/2019 Serie a Week 13 18:00 CET - by nefremo - 11-24-2019, 08:07 AM