Milan vs Udinese, Wednesday 21/09/2011, 20:45 CET
Right now nothing is certain, we might not get anyone back. La Gazzetta says the following:

Flamini (5 mesi), Robinho (incerto 4ª), Mexes (incerto 7ª), Gattuso (incerto 4ª), Ibrahimovic (incerto 6ª), Ambrosini (incerto 7ª), K.P. Boateng (incerto 4ª), Inzaghi (6ª giornata)

So we can only really hope for Robinho, Gattuso and Boateng. The problem is that without any of them we can't really rotate the midfield. Emanuelson and El Shaaraway are some options but throwing both into the mix would just be a completely new midfield with no cohesion. We really have to hope at least 2 of those players can come back from injury, even if nto for a full 90+5 mins.
(09-19-2011, 12:47 PM)Gio-mania Wrote: Right now nothing is certain, we might not get anyone back. La Gazzetta says the following:

Flamini (5 mesi), Robinho (incerto 4ª), Mexes (incerto 7ª), Gattuso (incerto 4ª), Ibrahimovic (incerto 6ª), Ambrosini (incerto 7ª), K.P. Boateng (incerto 4ª), Inzaghi (6ª giornata)

So we can only really hope for Robinho, Gattuso and Boateng. The problem is that without any of them we can't really rotate the midfield. Emanuelson and El Shaaraway are some options but throwing both into the mix would just be a completely new midfield with no cohesion. We really have to hope at least 2 of those players can come back from injury, even if nto for a full 90+5 mins.

I was just going to say the same thing. What concerns me is that our midfield backup (Emmanuelson) changes our entire formation because this guy can only play as a Left Winger. We lost our diamond midfield. In Barcelona, RM, MU, or even Napoli/Inter/Roma, when they make a sub, the formation usually remains the same as their players are interchangeable within the system.

Perhaps the wrong thread, but we need players to fit OUR system, not just players that are FREE. We're stuck with free players (Cassano, Urby, Flamini), and old players (Seedorf, Ambro, Bonera). I think giving away Merkel & Strasser will prove to be detrimental this season, but we must find away to get through this difficult period, even if not at full strength. A team like Milan is supposed to be deep enough to handle these situations.
ElMago, I will try to create a league in the next two days.... last year GeoTav proposed that we all have the same 'icon' so we can quickly browse and find each other... I have a MM icon now, you can copy it and put it as your icon for now as well... my username on there is hitmannq8 and I'm rank 869 at the moment if you want to find me.
(09-19-2011, 02:00 PM)Hitman Wrote: ElMago, I will try to create a league in the next two days.... last year GeoTav proposed that we all have the same 'icon' so we can quickly browse and find each other... I have a MM icon now, you can copy it and put it as your icon for now as well... my username on there is hitmannq8 and I'm rank 869 at the moment if you want to find me.

Ok I found you. I have a team on there my name is EL MAGO99

I'm ranked 1400... Let's make a league for MM members....
El Mago, I've been having the same concerns about Emanuelson. His natural position is as left winger. So the only places he is semi-compatible is as LB or as LCM. I think that is why Allegri has been very reserved when playing him. Urby isn't world-class but he has shown to be better than many of our midfielders when it comes to movement, speed, dynamism and passing ability. The problem is that he isn't a natural in that position.

I was really disappointed when we lost Merkel. Still young but a natural in the LCM spot and I think he would've been helpful during this injury crisis. Strasser I am less worried about, since we do have a few destroyers/mediani albeit injured.

Meanwhile in Manchester, Mancini complains about lack of players...
(09-19-2011, 03:03 PM)Gio-mania Wrote: El Mago, I've been having the same concerns about Emanuelson. His natural position is as left winger. So the only places he is semi-compatible is as LB or as LCM. I think that is why Allegri has been very reserved when playing him. Urby isn't world-class but he has shown to be better than many of our midfielders when it comes to movement, speed, dynamism and passing ability. The problem is that he isn't a natural in that position.

I was really disappointed when we lost Merkel. Still young but a natural in the LCM spot and I think he would've been helpful during this injury crisis. Strasser I am less worried about, since we do have a few destroyers/mediani albeit injured.

Meanwhile in Manchester, Mancini complains about lack of players...

That's a good one. Devilol

and on Urby, I still question our decision of purchasing him actually. I just hope that it was not one of those purchases simply to please certain agents.

I don't think that he is good enough for Milan (I certainly could be biased and wrong), and even though his price was not great, but if you consolidate a few million here and a few million there, we could have been able to finance for some better buy. That's how I take it, which is exactly why I was quite upset with all the purchases such as Grimi, Viudez, Vila Didac. If we weren't planning to use them, we should be skimpy even if it was only a few millions.
aka xudong
Be fair to Urby, he is a MUCH better player than Viudez, Grimi, Adiyiah, Cardaccio and Didac combined. I actually think he has done pretty well in the time he has been given, I hope to see more of him this season.
(09-19-2011, 07:52 PM)Beppe Wrote: Be fair to Urby, he is a MUCH better player than Viudez, Grimi, Adiyiah, Cardaccio and Didac combined. I actually think he has done pretty well in the time he has been given, I hope to see more of him this season.

++ Emanuelson has been quiet solid both last and this season.
So far he has been a very good sub to say the least.
"Defending is part of football... Keep possession 95% if u want... but the score is 2-2... thats it!! Well done milan.. Make serie a proud once again.. Big Grin"
I don't think anyone is questioning his quality. He's a talented product of Ajax, he seems to be quite technical and a good passer. Also quite speedy.

The problem is that he's not a game changer, and when he's brought in he plays Left Wing. We don't play a flat 4-4-2. So therefore, we change our whole formation around for him. We don't have any Right Winger to complement him so it's rather obvious the tactics. Our Strikers need players to link with and having Winger's doesn't really help that. We play best when our SS pulls wide and crossed to our oncoming ACM or IBRA or PATO.

I think Urby is a good player but does he fit our system and does he make us better? Those are the questions we must ask. With the likes of Nocerino, Ambro, Gattuso, Seedorf, Van Bommel, & Flamini, we need a creative attacking midfielder who can fit our tactic and also get forward and shoot, score, pass, and do more things than our average Bully Midfielder.....
I guess my main argument was based on the fact that his playing style isn't what we look for or what we need, then we probably should not have wasted money on him. (this is pretty much in alignment with what ElMago99 says here)

He isn't a great player to me, but you guys were right (and fair) that he should not be compared to Grimi or Didac.

Also, another question, was his previous contract with Ajax expiring this past summer anyway? Could someone confirm that? I wanted to say that was how I remembered it. If so, it now looked quite stupid to have spent another few millions on him instead of waiting for another five months. After all, we didn't use him in CL, and he was very lightly used in the Serie A either.
aka xudong