Derby della Madonnina, Curva Sud and Nord, this Sunday October 16th
True. Again we started this game at a slow pace. Almost too calculating in a sense with low energy. Our ass had to be under fire for us to start pushing and pressing. This is bothering me so much.

Anyway, things are looking bad now, but it will get better. I am sure. We have Genoa at home and Chievo away before we play Juventus at home. IF we drop points in the first 2, we can seriously wave goodbye to 4th place already before November even comes upon us. But if we win those 2 (we have to say that's actually likely) and get something out of the Juventus game (hey, why not even a win since we are at home)...then the season will be back on track.
this game and vs roma game showed the importance of having a marksman/clinical striker...(icardi/dzeko)
just one simple attacking movement then boom..goal..
when the team in trouble..these type of players will rescue the team..
Bacca was this type..and milan let him go...for LOAN..

other thing like possession,controlling the game,playing better in 2nd half etc...doesn't matter too much..if can't score goal..plus the defence was so bad
the 3 at the back seem useless..still conceding cheap and simple goals...
might as well return back to 4 at the back....one of bonucci/romagnoli out...
team was playing better 2nd half..3412.....but leave a gap in central mid...only biglia here....as bona is more advanced role..
the 2nd inter goal and their chance before that (their player had a clear shot without anybody marked him in front of Milan penalty box..) showed that..
only when locatelli came in to replace romagnoli..then the mid looked more balanced (4312)
and Suso was good as trequartista in 2nd half (3412/4312)..but not good in 1st half (3511)..
so maybe 4312..or 4231...or revert back to 433..
ilgrandemilan, I don't think Bacca would have done much yesterday. Yesterday we should remember that we were extremely close to taking the lead with Borini and then Bonaventura and in both instances Handanovic pulled off outstanding saves. Also, when Locatelli came in I'm pretty sure we maintained 3-5-2, only the team looked more like this:

-----------------------------Donnarumma-----------------------------------
-------Musacchio--------------Bonucci--------------Rodriguez------------
Borini---------Suso-----------Biglia----------Locatelli-------Bonaventura
-------------------------Silva-----------Cutrone------------------------------

I think tactically we need to maintain the direction we've started but need to look to make a few tweaks. That means maintain the 3-5-2, but I would like to see the following implemented:

1) By design have the system imposing our game on opponents. This means we maintain a very tight unit at pretty much all times and as a unit we position ourselves in conjunction to the ball, not the man. Marking should be zonal, which with a very tight unit means players shouldn't be getting pulled drastically away from their positions to open spaces. In addition, the players are better placed to support one another being tight.

2) When attacking I'd like to switch to "3-4-3". I think Suso should pull right in offensive moves with Bonaventura/Calhanoglu pushing up on the left. This should benefit the creative players by them finding more space in wide areas. As one midfield pushes up, Kessie should pull inside alongside Biglia to form a midfield two in the middle. However, players should not be static in how they approach this, we should have fluid movements with different players allowed to take up positions they may not be set out to take up. Ultimately as long as the end balance is the same, a level of autonomy should be given to allow freedom of expression and encourage constant movement.

3) We should aim for a general balance of 5 attack 5 defend when on the ball. That means the 3 attackers mentioned in point 2, along with the two wingbacks. The midfield two that are left central should still be involved, but their role is more support and moving the ball across the pitch. They would have a primary role of ensuring the counter press is ready and we're not susceptible to opposing counters.

4) The defensive 3 should stretch across the pitch in attacking moves. Musacchio and Romagnoli would be first point in wide areas to pass back to if we need to restart moves from the wide areas. By doing this, both would also be positioned to cover wide areas should a an opponent break on the wing.

5) In attacking moves, if wingbacks push extremely high, the creative duo (i.e. Suso/Calhanoglu/Bonaventura) should be middle left/right a little deeper to the wingback, offering options inwards, but again performing the duty to counter press as necessary. Likewise if these guys move wide, the wingbacks pull inwards to offer the same option, prepared to overlap if the widemen then move in.

6) The general starting point to press should be in the middle third of the pitch. That means the tip of our pressing unit should be in the opponents half (e.g at the top of the centre circle), with the defence maintaining a higher line as an initial starting point.

7) When pressing, it should be done on a pivot, dependent on the position of the ball. If an opponent attacks on their left, our right men should push up to press the man on the ball. The players on our left can pull back slightly in this instance. If an opponent pushes forward centrally, our central players will meet them in the press, with others outside of them dropping in slightly to cover in behind.

8) When counter pressing high up the pitch there should be an initial press to try and win back the ball immediately. If this fails the team should retreat back to their default pressing positions. Doing this serves two purposes. The first that if we can win the ball quickly we regain control and potentially disrupt the opponents, thus opening them up. The second is that as players counter press, it gives others an opportunity to drop back into the default press.

9) If an opponent breaks through a line in our press, it's up to those who have been beaten to drop and continue the high intensity press on the opponents. For example, if an attacker is passed, then he needs to take up a position to pressure the opponent and close angles for passes back as quickly as possible. If the midfield line is broken through, they need to chase back and get back behind the ball to ensure the defensive line have support.

10) We ALWAYS play with intensity. When out of possession, we need to show the same hunger to win the ball back as we showed in the early parts of the second half yesterday. At no points should we see intensity, focus and communication drop in the team.

These are some ideas I'd like to see implemented, but it's not limited to this, I just can't write it all down in one post.
It is amazing how for year and a half Montella didn't succeeded to make Milan looks like a team for entire fuc**n 90 minutes ,even not in just one single game. It's always 25-45 minutes per game. Around 55 at best. And there is no indication it will change anytime soon...
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
(10-16-2017, 11:12 AM)Sampinjon Wrote: It is amazing how for year and a half Montella didn't succeeded to make Milan looks like a team for entire fuc**n 90 minutes ,even not in just one single game. It's always 25-45 minutes per game. Around 55 at best. And there is no indication it will change anytime soon...

Can't really argue with this point. I think you are absolutely right.
Its a damn shame.
Is it bad management ? Bad coaching ? Is it the players ?

Did we really spend €220m or at least commit to it.Things can indeed change but we're on course t9 become the biggest laughing stock in football history.

Why didnt they go down the Top CF 2 top mids and a defender or 2 , instead we are looking at a massive waste of money on Kalinic Silva Biglia Calhanoglu Bonucci , maybe a bit premature on Silva.
The way we play for 45mins as if its a practice and for 20-30 like its a derby most games is ridiculous.Montella looks clueless , the players look unmotivated and care free.It pisses me right off.
No one in this Milan should take all the blame.

We are now similar to Chelsea and Man City when having new sugar daddy.

Chelsea were already at 4th last season, then 2nd - 1st

Man City were 9th last season, then 10th - 5th - 3rd - 1st

We are at somewhere between.

The only thing we have more are history & fans which are great but cannot contribute directly.
It is all bad coaching. At first part of last season we had some great buzz induced by some circumstances I explained here few times. But ,large part of supporters made it "Montella induced" simply because they wanted it to be true. After years of doom we finaly got right person who turned our ash into phoenix...It sounded really good...but it was far from reallity. When that buzz expired (and culminated in SC) things went from bad to worse.We end up in Europe just because others didn't wanted. So ,anyone...please explain me...how (if it was "Magic de Montella")..it passed almost a year from those times...how that "great magician" wasn't able to recreate that "magic"? Even for a moment ? How? Because it wasn't his contribution at first place.
About today...as someone said we have bunch of captains from Spain across Germany up to Italy. We have role models proffessionals...but on field they act like empty vessels.How? Did they over night forgot how to play football or it can be related to bad training ,bad motivation etc? Some will say "we need time for everything to fit in as there is much new faces"...True ,but it can't be this bad... "Many new faces" can't be only reason why things are bad as they are. It has to be something more. Like bad coaching.
For God's sake , he spent entire summer on formation he have not players for.
I'm also sick of stories "We were good". No we didn't. We were good for 30 minutes ,but for 60 we were bad. Average at best. And that is not enough. Teams like Atalanta can be satisfied when they are good against Inter for 30-45 minutes. Milan must not be. And untill that is changed we will go nowhere above 5th place. Can Montella provide that? No he can't ,because he is average. He is the guy who is satisfied because we were good for 30-45 minutes.
Let players watch games of Milan 2005 and say to them "This is good and this is what's expected of you". Make it absolutely clear to them that anything bellow is bad. That being good for one half time is not good enough. At least not for Milan. So screw "positive signs" and other bullshit...Stop living in fairytales and let's face reality...
Avaiting for arrival of exorcist into our boardroom.
Same as previous game, Biglia and the 3 defenders are so much exposed once opponent attacks. Not to mention the 3 defenders themselves still look dreadful. The goals concended , especially 1st two, were shameful imo.
If still using 3 at the back, should be Biglia and Locatelli in front of them..