Serie A (Matchday 6): Sampdoria - Milan (Sunday Sept. 24th, 12:30 CET)
6th game of the Serie A season. As we all know, apart from the Lazio game, we have so far won every other official game we've played this season. We are in the middle of a long series of games. We have 3 more before the international break (Samp, Rijeka, Roma). Hopefully we can get 3 points from this one as we then have Roma and Inter one after the other. Sampdoria away is never an easy game though. I am not too fussed about playing good in this game to be honest. As long as we come back with 3 points, I will be pleased. 

As of right now, even though a little early, Gazzetta has the following line ups as the probable ones:

Milan (3-5-1-1): Donnarumma - Musacchio, Bonucci, Romagnoli - Calabria, Kessie, Biglia, Bonaventura, RR - Suso - Kalinic.

Sampdoria (4-3-1-2): Puggioni - Bereszynski, Silvestre, Regini, Strinic - Barreto, Torreira, Praet - Ramirez - Quagliarela, Zapata
1-0 Milan
Thanks for opening the thread, nefremo. I have been wondering where you have been. Big Grin

That is a good lineup, though I wouldn't mind replacing Suso with Andre Silva. Maybe it is part of rotation, I guess.

I also heard that Biglia had some minor injury from last game. Not sure how serious it was.
(09-22-2017, 09:36 PM)xudong Wrote: Thanks for opening the thread, nefremo. I have been wondering where you have been. Big Grin

Okmilan  Hopefully I will extend my record here! 

About Biglia...obviously I hope he is not injured...but if there is any sort of an issue, I hope we use Locatelli there.
This is a very easy game to slip up on. Sampdoria aren't easy and we're entering another important run of games. Today I expect a tough game that's going to demand as much on Montella's tactical ability as the players themselves. I've not watch Sampdoria yet this season, but with Giampaolo I pretty much know what to expect. They will play 4-3-1-2 that's very narrow and with a heavy focus on vertical attacking moves. They defend narrow to reduce spaces from whichever side we attack from, meaning we've got to focus on stretching them horizontally and looking for quick switches in play to destabilise their unit.

In terms of managing their vertical movement, we've got to be wary of how we counter press, managing effectively and really being careful to maintain the balance we've had the last couple of matches and not going all out attack.

In terms of individuals, I think the keys will rest with Biglia, Suso and our wingbacks. Biglia's defensive duties are vital as it seems Ramirez seems to have the playmaking responsibilities this year and we need to try and take him out of the game, isolating their attackers. Suso's role should be both offensive and defensive, as I expect he'll have duties to close tight on Torreira in our defensive play, moving towards the right on the offensive maneuvers to find space and double up with our RWB (Calabria I would expect for his attacking contributions) to overload the right wing. Kessie is vital in this movement, as he'll need to act as cover and in instances where Suso doesn't have time to cover Torreira, he (or the other mezzala, I would think Calhanoglu) will be the one that would naturally push up to close him down.

As I've said in the last few match threads, the result will be determined by our attitude on the pitch. I expect Sampdoria to be a Giampaolo team, meaning they go on the pitch with intent to attack and play their game. They aren't a top side, which means results can be hit or miss, but they can make life very difficult if not managed correctly and if they are underestimated.

Edit: I presumed slightly wrong on the lineup, which are:

Sampdoria: Puggioni; Bereszynski, Silvestre, Ferrari, Strinic; Barreto, Torreira, Praet; Ramirez; Quagliarella, Duvan Zapata

Milan: G Donnarumma; C Zapata, Bonucci, Romagnoli; Abate, Kessie, Biglia, Bonaventura, Rodriguez; Suso; Kalinic
For anyone interested, please see my recent project at 
Caution against Sampdoria is a good thing, but we must not forget our own quality. Our side is much improved from last year already, we just need to play consistent and learn to control the game better when we're ahead.

I say it's time to give Doria their first loss of the season today.
5 minutes till kickoff.
We got the young 'un's. We take out big gunz  Devilcool
We really need to win this one

Sent from my NEM-L21 using Tapatalk
Why zapata and not Musacchio? Coaches always do this. Just as they get to trusting Zapata he starts making serious mistakes at the back.
Thats a penalty?

Sent from my NEM-L21 using Tapatalk
handball Zapata and penalty to Samp. Bonucci made a needlessly risky pass there

edit: Sorry, looks like Kessie, but decision ruled out after VAR
For anyone interested, please see my recent project at