Matchday 12: Palermo - Milan (Sunday, November 6 - 15:00 CET)
(11-07-2016, 06:42 AM)WCmilan Wrote: Kucka has bad games, but he has a lot of very very good games. I wouldn't take away from the guy, he's simply not a player to start every single game. Let him start every few games, bring him in for most other games and he'll do his job above satisfaction. On his day this guy dominates the midfield defensively with his energy and also adds to the attack when he pushes forward. Poli is just always average, there has been games where he's done a few good things, but never a full game where I said wow what a game. Kucka has put in world class performances.

I think this was a case of underestimating our opponent, falling asleep after an early goal and thinking it would be easy. Doesn't matter how few points Palermo has, more of a reason for them to give their all in a game where they have nothing to lose IMO, and their players are not below par to most other mid-lower table sides. Any other league in the world, these teams get smashed 5-0 every other week. In Serie A, tactics tactics tactics.. these teams are sometimes more difficult than facing one of the top 5.

I've also said on a few occasions that our fullbacks need to be revamped. De Sciglio offers above average service in defence minus a few empty minded mistakes, but he's below par going forward IMO, and while he can swing in a clean cross now and then, we need something more. Calabria is exciting because he reminds me of Jordi Alba but at right back instead of left. I would invest in a left back, someone who is VERY good on the front foot and can add to the attack. Vangioni was hyped quite a bit, at his age I didn't expect much.. I mean, if no other big European club signed the guy by 27 or 28 however old he is, I always had a feeling it was a classic Galliani move of recent years, signing one season wonders from below par clubs for free and crossing our fingers... Still, we had the right idea looking for someone who can attack on the left, maybe just someone a bit (or a lot) better than Vangioni Big Grin

I wasn't able to watch the entire game, how did Mati look?

No charge.
A couple of wayward passes, a couple of mistimed tackles (not the fouling type). Generally kept the ball a lot better than Pasalic or Kucka ever did and connected passes quite well. Also impressed me that he managed to keep hold of the ball more often than not under pressure unless they were double teaming him too aggressively, which would lead to a foul on him. That and the fact that he was pretty positive in trying to create something going forward made for a decent showing, though I probably would have wanted him to run into the box a bit quicker when we were on the attack. Too often we had 3 players running into Palermo's box with 5 or 6 opponents hot on their tails, but our own midfielders would be slow to join in on the play and the entire movement would either break down or our front 3 would be forced to shoot from weird angles.

It was a positive showing though. From what I'd seen, once he gets match fit, I believe he could play pretty decently alongside Jack and Loca as our midfield trio until we get some serious upgrades.
We got the young 'un's. We take out big gunz  Devilcool
I think my view on Kucka remains as it always has, he's a squad player and nothing more. He's not starting material and he should be used in a similar way to how Poli is used this year (Poli imo shouldn't really be in the squad anymore).

Just wanted to comment that I thought Suso had an excellent game yesterday. His goal and "assist" aside, his performance add some drive to our performance and he took responsibility very well. Had it not been for some excellent goalkeeping, he might have scored more.

Lapadula also deserves credit. Again, the obvious goal aside, his physicality and workrate were excellent. He's a great player to have come off the bench, and he may have given Montella something to think about ahead of the derby.
I agree Dev. Kucka needs to become our new Poli. Than in that case we will have definitely improved.

My comment on Poli not being worse than Kucka was an exaggeration. I agree with WCmilan that Kucka has also had some terrific games, while poli is constantly average to useless. But Kucka also has many games like the one yesterday. The guy alone could have costed us at least 3 goals with his stupidity. At the end of the day, like it was said, if Kucka is a bench player that comes in for the last 15 minutes to close out a game, I am all for it. But he definitely needs to be replaced in the starting line up.

Having said that, in our next game against Inter, he will probably be excellent. He seems to thrive in games where the emotions are high. Still makes mistakes, but the good he does in those games outweights the bad for sure.

EDIT:
For those that want to see Poli's "cluelessness" after Lapadula's goal! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_3CA6SuY8