Matchday 33: Milan - Empoli (Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 15:00 CET)
Zapata just can't have two good games in a row.
We're painful to watch at times. No creativity whatsoever in attack and the defense looked one step away from major phuck up.
per l'amaro e il dolce
Half time, Empoli didn't have much but they've taken advantage of our weakest spot (Zapata). On our part, I want to see better timing on runs from Mati and Pasalic. Both have pushed forward into the box through the half, but they push forward too early and end up just waiting with Lapadula for the ball. There's been openings to get in behind the Empoli backline, but it can only work if the player runs from deep and then the ball is played in behind.

No need to panic (yet), we need to regain composure and look to get in behind the Empoli backline better (something Calabria did well on the right early on).
In all fairness, Zapata was right there contesting for the header as good as he could possibly do it. Sometimes you just get beat in the air, especially by a bigger stronger player. It happens. Imo, it wasn't a fuk up or terrible defending. It was just one of those things that can happen on a corner. A contested header by two players but eventually won by the attacker. That's not to say that Zapata has had a good game.
Donnarumma should have also come out for that. He could have punched it out. He took a step forward and than changed his mind.

In any case, no particular fault to anyone on the goal. It's one of those that can happen.

I am more concerned about Pasalic and Sosa, who have been terrible imo in this half. Sloppy and unconvincing. I just can not understand what Montella sees in both of them but especially Pasalic.

Someone needs to tell Suso to stop shooting from every damn position. He reminds me of Boateng in this game, with the difference that I guess at least Suso is getting them on target and Boateng would put them into the stands.
The overlap is always on from Calabria and he has been excellent crossing the ball, so instead of shooting from 35 meters out every time, he should just reward the overlap and change it up.
I am tired to see that our players don't seem to have the urgency or intensity needed for the game. Reminds me of past seasons.

I would throw in a few more attackers: Bacca, Cutrone, Ocampos, or Locatelli, and see what happens. Our defenders aren't really defending in the first half anyway.
Fassone watching I hope ....
Stuff like this always seems to happen to us in games like these. We are just too comfortable. 65% possession and we seem to be playing at half speed because it's just too comfortable.

For all the possession and comfort, we really haven't created any chances inside the box and all we've had is shots from 25 meters out. We need to move the ball quicker and with more urgency. Try to work the ball into the box a bit more instead of taking the early shot.
urrgh, Empoli time wasting like mad

edit: my timing on posting that was off, I wasn't referring to the striker that scored, he seems actually hurt
I haven't seen any change so far. Still refused to work into the box, still sloppy on both ends.

Empoli players are down three times already in 5 minutes.
(04-23-2017, 03:14 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: urrgh, Empoli time wasting like mad

Yeah, what can you do? Score two goals and their behaviors will change.